Brian R. Braaksma>
Brian R. Braaksma
- Orthopedic Spine Surgery
Practicing Locations: Alliance | Flower Mound
Specialty: Spine Surgery
Fellowship Training: Spine Surgery
Certification: Board Certified- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Brian R. Braaksma Quote:
“Growing up on a farm, I understand and appreciate hard work. I know the value of returning to work and the need for patients to get back to high-level activities, back to supporting their family, and enjoying life. I chose to specialize in minimally invasive spine surgery to get my patients back to work and back to life much quicker.”
Brian R. Braaksma, MD is a board-certified orthopedic spine surgeon at the Texas Back Institute, practicing in Alliance and Flower Mound, Texas. Dr. Braaksma attended Texas Christian University (TCU), where he graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor’s in Biological Sciences and a minor in Chemistry. Dr. Braaksma then finished Medical School at Columbia University in New York. He completed an orthopedic residency at Rush University and his fellowship training in spine surgery at the New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases. For nearly ten years, he founded and ran a successful spine practice in Illinois, before bringing his family home to Texas.
Dr. Braaksma has several publications in orthopedic journals and multiple ongoing research studies. In addition, Dr. Braaksma is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and the North American Spine Society.
In his personal life, Dr. Brian Braaksma enjoys playing golf, watching sports, spending time with his family, and traveling.
- 2012 – Spine Surgery Fellowship – New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY
- 2011 – Orthopedic Residency Training Program, Rush University Dept. of Orthopedic Surgery, Chicago, IL
- 2006 – Medical Degree – Columbia University, New York, NY
- 2002 – Bachelors Degree in Biological Sciences – Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, TX
- Texas Christian University
- Dean’s List/TCU Scholar/RGK academic Scholar
- Alpha Epsilon Delta, Premedical Honor Society- Mr. TCU representative
- Phi Beta Kappa
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- National Institutes of Health Pre-Doctoral Research Fellowship
- Medical Letters of Distinction in Clinical Rotations- Surgery, Neurology, Urology, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Internal Medicine I, Internal Medicine II
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Accurate Cadaveric Model for Scapholunate Biomechanics. Trocchia A; Cooper I-IJ; Braaksma B; Bekman R; Rosenwasser MP
- Poster Presentation 5th Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Societies of Canada, USA, Japan, and Europe- 2004.
- The Relationship of Intra-Psoas Nerves during a Trans-Psoas Approach to the Lumbar Spine: Anatomical Study. Park DK, Lee M, Lin EL, Braaksma B, An HS, Phillips FM
- Podium Presentation LSRS Annual Meeting 2009- Chicago, IL
- Comparison of Index and Adjacent Level Kinematics Following Cervical Disc Replacement versus fusion: A Radiographic Analysis. Park DK, Lin EL, Braaksma B, Phillips, FM.
- Podium Presentation SAS 2009- London, England
- The Effect of Duration on Halo-Gravity Traction. Park DK, Braaksma B, Hammerberg KW, Sturm P.
- Podium Presentation IMAST 2009
- Predicting Relief of Neck and Arm Pain in Patients Receiving ACDF or TDR: Factors Associated with Response. Braaksma B, Albert T, Phillips F.
- Podium Presentation CSRS Annual Meeting 2009- Salt Lake, UT
- Differential Sensitivity of Annulus Fibrosus and Nucleus Pulposus Cells of the Intervertebral Disc to Growth Factors and Cytokines. Cs-Szabo G, Braaksma B, Gerard D, Lundgreu M, Agarwal V, Cien A, An HS, Anderson G.
- Podium Presentation LSRS Annual Meeting 2010- Chicago, IL
- Braaksma B, Park DK, An HS. Biological therapy: is there a new treatment for low back pain on the horizon? Rush Journal.
- Park DK, Braaksma B, Hammerberg KW, Sturm P. The Effect of Duration on Halo-gravity Traction. Accepted Journal of Spinal Disorder and Techniques.
- Cs-Szabo G, Braaksma B, Gerard D, Agarwal V, Lundgren M, Cien A, An HS. Differential Sensitivity of Annulus Fibrosus and Nucleus Pulposus Cells of the Intervertebral Disc to Growth Factors and Cytokines. Submitted to Spine.
- Hussain M, Braaksma B, Natarajan R, Fayyazi AH, Andersson G, An HS. Screw angulation affects bone-screw stresses and bone graft load-sharing in anterior cervical corpectomy fusion with a rigid screw-plate construct: a finite element model study. The Spine Journal, 2009 Dec;9(12):1016-23.
- Pelinkovic D, Braaksma B, Agarwal V, Gieger D. Recurrent Lumbar Disc Herniation: A Retrospective Study on the Treatment of Recurrent Lumbar Disc Herniations with an Anterior Microdiscectomy and Stand alone Anterior Interbody Fusion. Submitted to Spinal Disorders and Techniques.
- Braaksma B, Phillips F. Cervical Disc Replacement: Is there a motion-sparing alternative to Anterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion? Rush Journal. 2010.
- Khan S, Braaksma B, An H. Cervical pedicle subtraction osteotomy for fixed flexion deformities. Submitted to The American Journal of Orthopedics.