Search for Doctors
Mark M Kayanja, MD, PhDOrthopedic Spine Surgeon
| Personal Quote:
“In spine surgery, less is generally more. I tailor my approach to each patient’s symptoms and goals, using the least invasive means to achieve the fastest and most reliable recovery possible.”
| Specialty: Spine Surgery
| Fellowship Training: Spine Surgery
| Certification: Board Certified – American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
| Mark Makumbi Kayanja MD, PhD
Dr. Mark Kayanja is a Board certified Orthopaedic Spine surgeon at Texas Back Institute. Dr. Kayanja specializes in spinal surgery with a focus on adult and pediatric scoliosis, complex revision surgery, infections and spinal tumors. Dr. Kayanja combines the most advanced technology with the least invasive techniques available. He believes in listening to his patients to make the right diagnosis and utilizes other diagnostic tests to make an individualized plan for each patient. Every patient has the opportunity to tell their story.
Dr. Kayanja completed his Orthopaedic Residency and Spine Surgery Fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic and then went on to the CORE Institute in Phoenix. He then moved back to Ohio where he worked as Wright State University Faculty at the Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton.
Dr. Kayanja has a strong interest in Spine Biomechanics, with a Doctorate in the study of force and movement in the Spine. He applies this to spinal pathology using it to plan correction.
Not only does Dr. Kayanja specialize in the treatment of spinal disorders in adult and adolescent scoliosis, deformity reconstruction, revision surgery and spinal tumors but his clinical interests also include vertebral compression fractures, cervical and lumbar degenerative disorders and spine trauma.
Dr. Kayanja is a member of numerous professional organizations including the North American Spine Society (NASS), AOSpine, American Medical Association and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Dr. Kayanja has authored numerous scientific articles, medical book chapters and has been called on to present his research at National Medical Society Meetings and Conferences.
- Spine Fellowship, Cleveland Clinic – 2012-2013
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic – 2007-2012
- Research Fellowship, Department of Orthopaedics, Cleveland Clinic, – 2001-2005
- Concurrent Graduate PhD Student in Biomechanics, Mbarara University, Uganda – 2001-2005
- Mini Spine Fellowship Professor J. Harms Spine Institute Klinikum Karlsbad Langenstienbach, Germany – 1997-1999
- Master of Medicine MMed Surg, Orthopaedic Surgery, Makerere University – 1995-1998
- Orthopaedic Surgery Resident, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mulago Hospital – 1995-1998
- Master of Medicine MMed Surg, General Surgery, Makerere University -1992-1995
- General Surgery Resident, Department of Surgery, Mulago Hospital – 1992-1995
- OBGYN/General Surgery Internship, Department of Surgery & Internal Med/Peds, St. Francis Hospital Nsambya – 1990-1991
- HVO Golden Apple Award for Humanitarian work in Uganda
- Uganda Charitable Spine Mission – 2012
- AnyBody Technology Inc., and International Society of Biomechanics unrestricted license to AnyBody™ Modeling System version 2.0.1 software for musculoskeletal modeling in support of Biomechanics in Africa – 2006
- Best Research Fellow paper presentation, Cleveland Clinic Foundation 13thAnnual Orthopaedic Day – 2003
- Best Research Fellow paper presentation, Cleveland Clinic Foundation 12thAnnual
Orthopaedic Day – 2002
| Publications, Books & Presentations
As world-renowned leaders in the field of neck and back care, Texas Back Institute doctors are continuously writing and presenting professional articles, publications and speaking engagements to national and international audiences.
- Kayanja M, Orr D. Early Femoral Ring Allograft (FRA) resorption/osteolysis following Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF) using Bone Morphogenic Protein (BMP) supplemented by posterior instrumentation – Benefit or Complication? Presentation at the 4thAnnual Lumbar Spine Research Society Meeting, Chicago, 2011
- Kayanja M. The Biomechanics of Vertebral Compression Fractures and Vertebral Augmentation. Presentation to Department of Biomedical Engineering, June 2005
- Kayanja M,Ferrara L, Lieberman I. Distribution of Anterior Cortical Strain after a Thoracic Wedge Compression Fracture. Presentation at the 13thAnnual Orthopaedic Research Day, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio May 29, 2003
- Kayanja M, Ferrara L, Lieberman I. Force Transmission through the Thoracic Spine Following an Index Vertebral Compression Fracture. Presentation at the 12thAnnual Orthopaedic Research Day, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH June 13, 2002
- Kayanja M, Togawa D, Lieberman I. Biomechanics of Prophylactic and Post fracture Augmentation of Osteoporotic Vertebral Compression Fractures in the Thoracolumbar Spine. Presentation at NASS 19thAnnual Meeting, 2004, Chicago, USA
- Kayanja M. Problem, Evidence and Cost Based Decision Making: A Worldwide Perspective. Presentation at World Spine II meeting, August 2003, Chicago, USA
- Kayanja M.Spine Technology Utilization: Regional Variation and Global Solutions. Presentation at World Spine meeting, August 2003, Chicago, USA
- Kayanja M.The Biomechanics of Vertebral Collapse. Presentation at the Spectrum of Vertebral Augmentation for Osteoporotic and Osteolytic Compression fractures, World Spine III, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2005
- Kayanja M.Biomechanics of Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty Presentation at the Spectrum of Vertebral Augmentation for Osteoporotic and Osteolytic Compression fractures, World Spine III, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2005
- Kayanja M.Form Follows Function. Presentation during World Spine III, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2005
- Seng Juay, Kayanja M, St Clair Selvon. Correction Factor for Difference between In-situ and In-vitro DXA BMD. World Congress of Biomechanics 2010
- Hochshuler S.H., Lieberman I.H. and Kayanja M.M. Importance of Device Sizing and Positioning in Total Disc Replacement Surgery Poster, the Spine Arthroplasty Society (SAS)’s 7thAnnual Meeting, Symposium on Motion Preservation Technology, Berlin, 1-4 May 2007
- Takayuki Y, Kayanja M, Milks R, Lieberman I. Radiographic Landmarks of the Sacrum. E-poster presentation at IMAST 2006, Athens Greece & E-poster presentation at NASS 2006, Seattle, Washington.
- Kayanja M, Tsai E, Takayuki Y, Milks R, Lieberman I. The Biomechanics of Insufficiency Fractures and Augmentation of the Pelvis. E-poster presentation at IMAST 2006, Athens, Greece & E-poster presentation at NASS 2006, Seattle, Washington.
- Togawa D, Kayanja M.M, Lieberman I.H, Benzel E.C, Reinhardt M.K, Knoller N. & Friedlander A. Accuracy of Bone-Mounted Miniature Robotic Guidance System for Pedicle and Translaminar Facet Screw Placement, AAOS Poster Chicago IL, March 2006 & International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine (ISSLS) Annual Meeting, New York NY, May 2006
- Kayanja M, Hwang S, Milks R, Benzel E. Biomechanical Comparison of Adjacent Level Segmental Motion in the Cervical Spine with Varying Degrees of Lordotic Alignment. Poster presentation at 20thAnnual International Society of Biomechanics and 29thAnnual American Society of Biomechanics 2005, Cleveland OH
- Kayanja M, Korboi E, Milks R, Lieberman I. Adjacent Level Load Transfer Following Vertebral Compression Fractures Treated by Cement Augmentation. Poster presentation at 20thAnnual International Society of Biomechanics and 29thAnnual American Society of Biomechanics 2005, Cleveland OH
- Kayanja M, Korboi E, Togawa D, Lieberman I. Adjacent Vertebral Strain and Centrum Load following Kyphoplasty for Osteoporotic Vertebral Compression Fractures. Live Poster Presentation at NASS 20thAnnual Meeting, Philadelphia PA, Oct 2005
- Lenke LG, Eisermann L, Bilancini M, Kayanja M, Zhang J, Ferrara L. Biomechanics of Disc Arthroplasty Placed Below a Simulated Long Spinal Fusion Construct. Is it Stable and Feasible? Paper #68, International Meeting on Advanced Spine Techniques (IMAST) 11thAnnual Meeting, South Hampton Bermuda, July 1-3, 2004
- Dalcanto R, Ferrara L, Inceoglu S.Kayanja M, Liberman IH. Biomechanical Comparison of Transarticular Facet Screws to Lateral Mass Plates in Two level fusions of the cervical spine. Poster Presentation at NASS 18thAnnual Meeting, San Diego CA, Oct 2003
- Kayanja M, Ferrara L, Lieberman IH. Distribution of Anterior Cortical Strain in a Simulated Osteoporotic Vertebral Compression Fracture. Poster presentation at NASS 18thAnnual Meeting, San Diego CA, Oct. 2003
- Moon-Jun Sohn, Ferrara L, Kilincer C, Kayanaja M, Benzel E. A Biomechanical Comparison of Anterior and Extraforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusions. E. Poster presentation at IMAST, June 2003
- Kayanja M., Ferrara L., Lieberman I. Anterior Cortical Shear Strain during an Osteoporotic Vertebral Compression Fracture. Poster Presentation at Case Western Reserve University Research Showcase, April 4, 2003.
- Lisa A Ferrara, MS, Jong-Pil Eun, MD Serkan Inceoglu, MS, Jessica L Secor, BS, Aaron T Rood, MA, Mark Kayanja MD,Timothy Ryken, MD, Edward C Benzel, MD. A Biomechanical Evaluation of the Pullout Resistance of the DOC Cervical System, CSRS 2002 Poster #42
- Kayanja M, Ferrara L, Lieberman I. Biomechanical Validation of An Osteoporotic Vertebral compression Fracture Model in the Study of Force transmission through the Cadaveric Thoracic Spine. Poster presentation for 22ndAnnual Cleveland Clinic Research Day Cleveland Clinic Foundation Ohio, October 17, 2002